Palawan is considered to be one of the world’s best islands, and for good reason. With its many sights and natural attractions, Palawan is a must-visit tropical paradise for anyone around the world.
Aside from its many beautiful and pristine beaches, Puerto Princesa’s Subterranean River National Park is also one of the island’s greatest treasures. So much so that it has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list since 1999, and is part of the New 7 Wonders of the World list too.
Photo source: Tupang Gala
For those who haven’t been, this underground river that is 8.2 kilometers long boasts quite an impressive and extensive rock formation, limestone cliffs, and crystal clear waters that host plenty of biodiversities. However, only half of the river can be explored by tourists at the moment.
When’s the best time to visit?
Consider the weather in this part of the country when planning a trip here. In Palawan, the dry season is from November to May while the wet season is from June to October. However, this may change from time to time so it’s better to check the weather forecast before booking your flights.
Photo source: Ambot-Ah
If you’re planning to explore the underground river, it’s best to go during the dry months as the waters will be calmer and less likely to be canceled or delayed due to the weather.
What to expect?
Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park is located roughly around 80 kilometers away from the city center of Puerto Princesa, which is Palawan’s capital city. This would usually take around 2-3 hours travel by bus, jeep, or van to go all the way to Sabang. From Sabang, you’ll then have to go on 2 boat rides – a big and small one to go explore the river.
Photo source: Thousand Wonders
You cannot travel directly to Sabang though as you would need to secure a permit first at the Underground River Booking Office located in Puerto Princesa’s City Coliseum. This is for the government to control the number of people visiting this heritage site.
At the Sabang Port where you’ll take your first boat ride, you will be asked for an environmental fee along with the boat fares as well as the permit.
The underground river tour usually lasts about 45 minutes where a boatman will guide and show you everything there is to it – from rock formations to its inhabitants.
Any travel tips?
If you’ve decided to explore and experience one of the world’s most stunning natural sights, then there are a couple of things that you should consider to get the most out of it.
Photo source: Visit Philippines
- Travel lightly including what you’re wearing. Wear something that you’re okay to get wet in as you’re exploring a river. Prepare also a change of clothes for when you’re on the way to your next destination.
- Use water-resistant, waterproof bags, or dry bags to protect your belongings including your change of clothes and electronic devices such as cellphones and cameras.
- Wear trekking sandals or aqua shoes.
- Put on lots of sunscreen and insect repellants.
- Use refillable bottles or tumblers. Avoid bringing trash that could ultimately destroy the environment.
- Avoid talking loudly or shouting while inside the cave as it will disturb the bats. Also, keep in mind that these bats might drop a little surprise from above so be cautious of that.
- Be respectful and don’t vandalize the protected site.
- Relax and take everything on the journey as you’re experiencing one of the most beautiful pieces of nature in the world.
Rediscover one of the famous tourist attractions in the country, and one of the world’s 7 wonders. Explore the hidden beauty of Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park and be amazed. Furthermore, don’t forget to visit other beautiful destinations in Puerto Princesa and other places in Palawan to fully enjoy the island’s beauty.
Book your stay with RedDoorz’s many partnered hotels across Puerto Princesa and Coron in Palawan. With us, you can be guaranteed quality service and amenities without having to break the bank. Allow us to make your Palawan experience stress-free and worth it. So, book your stay with us by visiting our website or downloading our mobile app now!