We’ve said this time and time again. The best way to dive into a place’s culture is by eating their local dishes. Not only is it the easiest, but it’s certainly the yummiest.
So, if you’re visiting Cagayan Valley in the North of Luzon, there are a couple of local dishes that you just need to try – even at least once in your life.
1. Pancit Batil Patung – If there’s one dish you definitely want to try and is recommended by the Cagayan locals, then it would be this. The Pancit Batil Patung is an iconic noodle dish that started in Tuguegarao City. What makes it unique from all noodle dishes is the use of carabao meat or carabeef which has a much distinct gamey flavor compared to other meats.
Photo source: Panlasang Pinoy
2. Chicharabao – Chicharabao is carabao chicharron. This puffy, airy, and crispy snack is made out of carabao skin. It is popular to buy as souvenirs and comes in a variety of flavors you can choose from.
Photo source: PHBWorx
3. Carabao Milk Candy - Carabao milk candy can be akin to pastillas. But unlike pastillas, they are chewy rectangular chips. It’s also a great souvenir to buy.
Photo source: CNN Philippines
4. Pawa – Pawa is a sweet bite-sized snack that is made from gelatinous rice. It’s a kakanin that’s filled with sweetened grounded peanuts. You’ll be able to buy them on the streets near the Piat Church.
Photo source: the Northern Forum
5. Putoflan – These little treats are a variation of the puto. As with its name, it is combined with Leche flan at the bottom, making it much better.
Photo source: Kasher’s Kitchen
6. Lumot – A dish akin to Bicol’s Laing, Lumot is a salty seaweed dish. Its name is inspired by its algae-like consistency and is often paired with other plates of seafood like grilled fish.
Photo source: Filipina Explorer
There’s nothing better than eating your way through a place you’re traveling to. There’s a lot you can uncover and learn from the people and the culture of the place just by their local cuisines.
We recommend trying these Cagayan local dishes once you find yourself traveling there. These dishes may seem exotic, but we think it’s still worth a try.
There are still other local cuisines and dishes you’ll find once you start going around Tuguegarao City and even other cities in Cagayan. So to make it easier for you to locate them, why not stay nearby?
RedDoorz hotels offer the most comfortable rooms at very affordable prices in the Cagayan province. What are you waiting for? Visit our website now or download our mobile app to book you stay with us!